- Common names: burrowing snakes
Plectrurus is a genus of nonvenomous shield tail snakes endemic to southern India. Currently, four species are recognized.
Small snakes, they do not exceed 43Â cm (17 in).
An ocular shield covers the eye. The eyes are small, diameter not more than half the length of the ocular shield. The tail is laterally compressed. The terminal scute also is laterally compressed, with two superposed points. The points are simple, bifid, or trifid.
*) Not including the nominate subspecies
T) Type species
- List of uropeltid species and subspecies
- Uropeltidae by common name
- Uropeltidae by taxonomic synonyms
- Plectrurus at the Reptarium.cz Reptile Database. Accessed 1 September 2007.